What an absolute treat to catch up with the always glamorous interior designer and traveller Serena Crawford, this past week.
A quick swoop around her Instagram page and you’ll soon unearth a boundless love for Plettenberg Bay and the surrounding community, a place she feels especially connected to having grown up amongst the sand dunes of Robberg Beach.
We asked her to list her top ten simple pleasures of springtime in Plettenberg Bay:
- First place goes to her ultimate favourite, full of nostalgia and natural wonder, an early morning amble along Robberg Beach to the point, or a drive down in the late afternoon to watch the sun set from the car park. Serena also gives a special mention to another often-trod magical beach walk along Nature’s Valley beach including a beautiful lagoon near Kurland Estate – truly a bird lover’s paradise.
- If she’s worked up an appetite after her beach tramping, Serena loves a charming little Italian restaurant, Ice Dream Land, where the prosciutto is imported straight from Italy and the burrata is made in their own kitchen.
- Perhaps, if she’s feeling more for a lunch of freshly-caught fish then Serena will head to either Enrico’s or The Fat Fish, both perfectly lovely spots for a slow afternoon meal.
- When she’s in the mood for a quick day trip, Serena will make her way to Knysna. A trip that is incomplete without a stop in at île de païn and more recently to visit a gorgeous pop up restaurant next door. This is her favourite spot to have an evening drink and watch the sun set overlooking the lagoon. Serena’s pro traveler tip: take a boat out for a day of sailing and swimming on the Knysna lagoon.
- Serena is always on the hunt for anything unique and beautiful, to wear or to have in her home, so she often stops by the Tten Bazaar (find them on Instagram) to cast her stylish eye over their clothes and art pieces. Also to enjoy what she declares are the best whiskies in South Africa.
- As for coffee, when she’s craving a chic little spot for some afternoon respite, Seakrit is her favourite place with (what we’d expect to be) delicious coffee.
- Pezula is Serena’s perfect place to spend a morning ruffling through gorgeous furniture and home accessories.
- If she’s planning a lunch time picnic with friends she makes sure to pop in at The Deli Factory or the Robberg Fisheries for the tastiest things to impress her guests with.
- On Saturday mornings Serena loves a leisurely stroll around a sweet local craft market (that runs along the main road). She’ll also make her way to a mid-week market at Old Nick Village especially to visit the Mungo Mill where they craft hand spun linen.
- Serena ends off the list with the most treasured of her simple pleasures: spending time being active outdoors, hosting and entertaining family and friends, and being at home.