Our beloved owners of Kurland really know how to make the most of the festive season. They’re all about creating lasting family memories and planning unforgettable get-togethers, so here are their top ingredients for an unforgettable holiday celebration on the estate:
Come together as a family
The best thing about spending Christmas at Kurland is the coming together of family members, from near and far, to spend time together. This year the Behrs, Elphicks, Russells and Lederles are especially excited to welcome the newest family member to Christmas, baby Leo. He’s 8 months old and will be flying in from London for his first visit to South Africa.
The family’s 2023 Christmas table will, amazingly, range in age from diners as young as 8 months old to those as experienced and worldly as 91 years old.
Keep traditions alive
Keeping the age-old traditions of Christmas tree foraging, decorating, and, of course, cooking is important. This year they’ll be baking mince pies, roasting turkey, steaming Brussels sprouts, whipping up bread sauce, and soaking Christmas puddings.
On the menu this year:
- Cold, sliced Christmas ham with hot parsley sauce, tomato basil salad and baby potatoes with parsley. (Basil is growing prolifically in Kurland’s vegetable garden at the moment, and the cooks in charge love using the local produce!)
- Confit duck with crispy skin, served with a red cabbage and apple slaw, and dressed with an orange and walnut dressing.
- Poached salmon with hollandaise sauce and a cucumber and mint salad.
- Heirloom tomato basil tarts topped with burrata and parma ham.
- Honeybush ice cream.
Exercise is an important part of the holiday fun.
- All the families love mountain biking on the estate and riding down to Nature’s Valley. There are so many off-road trails to explore in the area.
- When it comes to running, Kurland is a dream with many picturesque paths to get lost on.
- The Pavilion, overlooking the lush, green polo field, is the perfect spot for an outdoor yoga session.
- And who could live without lazy afternoon walks with the dogs into the mountains? This is always a highlight in summer when the sun sets late and there’s so many beautiful daytime hours to enjoy.
Want to know more about what’s coming out of Kurland’s kitchen this festive season? Watch this space for an upcoming feature serving up our top recipes and pictures!